Well, I got a comment complaining about how long it takes me to post stuff... now, I don't know who posted it (thanks, "me") but at least SOMEONE is reading this. Who else is? C'mon now? Seriously.
Okay, well, here's an update...
* Still working at Perceptive. Yay! We're hiring like mad, so if you or anyone you know is looking for a job...technical, sales, marketing...all sorts of stuff, check out www.workplaykc.com and mention my name in your cover letter. Lately I've been pretty involved in the KU on campus recruiting effort: went to the career fair and then to EXPO, so that was pretty slick. I like meeting the students and talking with them.
* On the 8th, I get to go back to campus and talk with a bunch of EECS and Undecided freshmen about some project I'm working on and why they should TOTALLY be EECS majors. Heh - I hope none of them run across my old blog entries on a what a hellhole the major is...that'd be awkward.
* Still swimming. Relay meet coming up on Saturday - should be a ton of fun. It's all relays and it's all potluck. What's cool is that at this pool, they can actually set up short-course AND long-course meters as well as short-course yards. So we get to swim ALL of the relays.
* I'm taking Beginning Voice through JCCC's continuing ed. It's been a ton of fun, and our instructor says I have a very nice voice (who knew?). I was thinking about auditioning for Theatre in the Park, but I think I'm gonna hold off a year so I can spend the summer focusing on Corporate Challenge events and trying out a couple short-course triathlons.
* I've gotten involved with some city planning thing in Lenexa called Vision 2030. It's basically a planning document that states where we, the voice of the citizenry, think the city should be headed over the next 25 years. I'm on the Transportation & Infrastructure task force, so I'm learning a lot of interesting stuff from various transit authorities and wastewater managers. -- no really! It IS interesting!
* Still doing translations at Kiva. If you're not familiar, go to www.kiva.org. Look at the businesses from Latin America. See how some of them have been translated from Spanish? That's what I do. Now go read about what it is, how it works, and donate some money. Dude, you can afford $25.
* As per deMauri's suggestion, I'm reading Madeleine Albright's "Memo to the President Elect", and it is delicious. I recommend. Actually I've been reading a LOT of stuff lately. If you're nice, maybe I'll put up some book reviews.
* Home life is snazzy. In case you somehow hadn't heard, we did buy a house, and we moved in about a month ago. We're pretty much settled in now. Still have just a couple small boxes of tchochke kind of stuff that's not unpacked..and might not get unpacked. Slowly shopping for furniture. Eric and Pythagoras are doing very well. Eric has mercifully been re-demoted to assistant forensics coach, so I actually get to see him on weekends every now and again.
* Still no plans to spawn. Geezus people!
So yeah, with all that crap, I don't really see other people so much. So if you're reading this and want to get together, friggin' call me, eh? K, I gotta go and make lunch. If you're nice, you'll get more like this pretty soon.
Shannon's shared items
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Sairen
- Lenexa, KS, United States
- 20-something "young professional" trying to find my place in this grown-up world. I don't always feel grown-up.
No comments:
Post a Comment