Shannon's shared items

Friday, April 20, 2007

n00bs and the Internet

Why is it that the first thing people do when they initially get access to the internet (or should I say "the internets -- a series of pipes) is send out ancient forwarded emails ...that somehow are still circulating after at least 10 years... ? Why is this? And why are there so few people that bother doing any fact-checking first? OMG-- watch your kidneys!

Anyway, I think I've found a fairly reliable way of getting people to STOP. It's worked twice, and I'm currently working on a third. For every stupid urban legend / phony photo / OMG-look-at-this email, I go hit Snopes.com to find out its status. Then I send a link and some commentary about the email back to the sender. The way I figure it, it's a mild shame technique. Either the sender gets the point and stops sending forwards out (presumably doing hir own research), or just gets pissed off and me and stops sending *me* forwards. Either way, no more clutter in my inbox, thank you very much.

And on a totally unrelated note, this pretty well illustrates why I don't like people:


3 comments:

Rob said...

I do that. I haven't had any for a while. Come to think of it, I haven't had any forwards for a while. Maybe they do remove us from the list.

Maybe for me that happened after I replied-to-all to comment on how the forwarding of this virus warning e-mail is more of a virus than the malady it attempts to warn against, which according to [link] is fake anyway.

Classics Ninja said...

You mean I really didn't help cure that little girl's cancer? Dammit.

Patrick said...

Well to the best of my knowledge, nothing, but apparently there's some off chance that I've been whoring myself out in my sleep...

About Me

Lenexa, KS, United States
20-something "young professional" trying to find my place in this grown-up world. I don't always feel grown-up.