Shannon's shared items

Monday, March 10, 2008

A huge disappointment

Well, we bought our reserved copy of Super Smash Bros - Brawl for the Wii this afternoon, and started playing it this evening.
I really think the defining experience was right out of the box - picking a player. I'm waving my Wii-mote at the screen, pointing it this way and that, and the cursor wasn't moving! What was wrong with my Wiimote? Was I not signed in properly?
No, that was fine. It turns out the problem was that, instead of using the Wii as a remote, you picked up your token with "A", moved it with the analog stick on the Nunchuk, then set it back down again with "A" - does this sound familiar? It should. It's exactly the same controls as the Gamecube version used.

The new version of Smash Bros does not use the Wii remote. You don't punch by punching, you don't recover by gesturing up, and you don't point by gesturing. Many of the levels are ... very familiar. What is the point? It appears to have become Madden-ized - each new version has some tweaks, a few improvements, but it's nothing you really need to buy every single version of - jerk.

If this is a game you want to own, make me an offer.

1 comment:

Rob said...

I want. But Smash is on my birthday list, so I can't really do much about it at the moment. I'll let you know in a week or so.

About Me

Lenexa, KS, United States
20-something "young professional" trying to find my place in this grown-up world. I don't always feel grown-up.