We have ants. Crazy ants. I'm trying to be a good little eco-hippie, though, and NOT respond by spraying toxins all over my house and property.
So we've cleaned up the food in the kitchen that they're attracted to, wiped down the counters with a vinegar and hot water solution, and traced them back to the gap in the window sill they're using to seal it up. It worked... for awhile.
But last night, we left our dirty plates sitting on the counter overnight. And this morning, the bottom plate was BLACK with ants - a thick stream of them marching from the window sill, across the wall, down the cabinet, across the counter, and to the plate. So I was late to work cleaning all that up, getting rid of the ants, and sealing yet another gap.
A really good person (better than I, perhaps) would see this as an opportunity. The ants are helping us find all the gaps in the wall where cold and hot air will enter, and they're also encouraging us to keep the kitchen clean. Sparkling clean, in fact.
But...uggggh!! They're creepy and crawly and gross! And Eric was at the point this morning, though he's been supportive of eco-hippiness before, of suggesting ant killer.
I reminded him that we'd decided they were okay outside, under the deck where they live. It's only coming in that's a problem. He retorts: "Maybe they're not fine under the deck. We must fight them over there so we don't have to fight them here!"
At that point I declared victory since using Bush rhetoric clearly nullified any reasoned argumentation.
Later, though, I bit my own critique. Eric argued that our current counter-ant strategy was no longer succeeding. I countered: "It is working. Our strategy is working, and we will continue stay the course. We are winning against Al-Antae in OurDeq!"
Yeah, I lost that round.
Shannon's shared items
Thursday, April 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Sairen
- Lenexa, KS, United States
- 20-something "young professional" trying to find my place in this grown-up world. I don't always feel grown-up.
1 comment:
Wow, I think this post would have been perfect if accompanied by a photo essay documenting the ant invasion...
Post a Comment