Shannon's shared items

Monday, April 7, 2008

Basketball and a Preview

Before I get back to my regularly scheduled reviews, I have some thoughts on basketball. First a preview of upcoming reviews:
* Jimmy Eat World's new CD, Chase this Light
* The new KC Live! restaurant "Tengo Sed Cantina"
* Mexican restaurant, Fronteras in JoCo
* The Codex Alera book series
* New DVD release, Death at a Funeral

- so stay tuned!

And on to basketball.

Obviously there's been a lot of talk lately about KU, UNC, and Roy. I admit, I still harbor some bitterness. Don't get me wrong - Self is a great coach, maybe even a better coach for KU. If I could swap back, even before last night's game, no way. So why bitter? Here's my extended analogy to explain the bitterness:
Okay, so here I am, Kansas. And I'm dating this guy, and we're pretty serious. Sure, there'd been a couple rough spots, but that was all in the past, and we're together. Not quite engaged, but people know it's coming. Engaged to be engaged or whatever that is. And even though people keep asking, "Hey, when are you gonna get married?" and heaven knows we've talked about it enough, it just never seems to happen.

So then suddenly, this guy's ex-girlfriend calls him up, asks if they can go out to dinner, just catch up whatever. Before I know what's happened, he friggin' dumps me and goes back to his ex! And then, get this, they get married. That's his championship - he goes to back to his ex and they get married.

Back to me, Kansas. So I get a new boyfriend, and he's awesome. Probably better for me right now than the old guy. But I'm still pissed off at him for breaking my heart. Finding a fabulous new guy eases part of the bitterness. Meeting up with him at the high school reunion and showing off helped, too. That's when we beat them. Getting married myself will ease the rest of it.

So that's what I'm waiting for - our wedding, our championship. Beating them was step one - winning it all will end this silliness completely.


I told you it was one hell of an extended analogy.

And seriously, my priorities are way out of whack today. If I found a genie today, this is about how it'd go:

"You may have one wish."
"Oh! KU wins the national championship tonight!"
"So shall it be don-"
"Wait! World peace! I meant world peace! Shit! And end to hunger - oh, come on, no do-overs??"

Yep.

1 comment:

me said...

Best analogy EVER! So I'll take it you're now over Roy? The sticker and half time interview on TV greatly helped me resolve some of my lingering feelings.
p.s. I think I shall continue to anonymously blog stalk you for just a *bit* longer. :)

About Me

Lenexa, KS, United States
20-something "young professional" trying to find my place in this grown-up world. I don't always feel grown-up.