Dude. Machu Picchu. Wow. "Majestic" is really all there is to say (though I'm sure I'll say more). The whole place makes the most wondrous photographs and memories. I took 133 photos today (Still below my daily quota of 170!)
We arrived at about 10 am (no sunrise rush here!), wandering a bit at first. We knew from the guidebook that it was possible to climb Huayna Picchu, the mountain behind the town in all the photos, so we were headed that direction. Hiked it. About an hour up. It was very steep -- in one place, there were just stone stairs as wide as my shoulders and steep like a ladder. We were on all fours a good part of the last part up. It was also VERY worth it. That trek really made the trip to MP for me. Just... breathtaking views of MP (the city). Once at the top, everyone was part of this great community of sweaty, smelly, tired hikers and amateur photographers. Find a rock and have a seat - you've earned it. Only 400 are allowed up per day, so it's one great way to avoid the ~3000 people in MP at a time.
While there are a lot of people, it's not very dense. So, no, you don't get the place to yourself, but I wouldn't say it was crowded. Plus, there are so many individual rooms, nooks, terraces, and backside staircases, it is possible to feel isolated. So yes. Arrive early (I'm sure sunrise would be great), stay late, climb Huayna Picchu, take a guided tour...it's great. Amazing. Truly.
Ali, our guide, took us around in the afternoon to see the sights and explain. The sad...and impresive... thing is hot little there really is to explain. We just don't know that much! Archaeologists have excavated, studied, surmised, and conjectured. But since the Inca themselves have left no records of the place, the sad truth is we'll probably never know.
Shannon's shared items
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Sairen
- Lenexa, KS, United States
- 20-something "young professional" trying to find my place in this grown-up world. I don't always feel grown-up.
No comments:
Post a Comment