Shannon's shared items

Monday, February 5, 2007

Pet Names

I need help coming up with a name for my (future) pet snake. He (She? Oh, who can tell anyway -- coolest name wins) is a ball python. I'm kinda liking hero names or other literary or historical references. I liked Agamemnon, but Eric rejected it 'cause it shortens to "Aggie" and we can't have one of THEM around in a Jayhawk house. I think Classical Greek has some real potential (Kathy, I'm looking at you, here). I kinda like "Achilles" too, but it makes me think of Ender's Shadow's AH-sheel, Bean's nemesis.

Anyway, if you have any ideas, leave them in a comment.

Edit:
Possible snake names:
Fibonacci, Mandelbrot, Archimedes, Leibniz, Riemann, Von Neumann, Bernoulli,
...or maybe something starting with 'O' so I could call him Big-O? Slartibartfast, Galileo

Names I'd save for a dog:
Escher, Fortran, Descartes, Kepler

Euler doesn't sound good, and I hate Newton (though a snake named Leibniz and a dog named Newton would be freakin' sweet)

Votes and new suggestions welcome.

2 comments:

Classics Ninja said...

You should totally name it Asclepius, the Greek god of health, whose patron animal was a snake. Plus the name even sounds hissy. Or Tiresias, the prophet in Oedipus Rex, because he once hit two copulating snakes with a staff and got turned into a woman. Later, as a woman, he found two more copulating snakes, hit them with a staff, and became a dude again. Crazy Greeks.

Anonymous said...

When it comes to Greek, ain't nothing better than the Great Warrior Ajax.

About Me

Lenexa, KS, United States
20-something "young professional" trying to find my place in this grown-up world. I don't always feel grown-up.