Yes, I *am* a technical genius.
It's funny...despite "working in software" sometimes I feel like a real dunce, especially when it comes to network stuff. When it comes to...network stuff... I know about enough to fill, oh, a short blog post say. Really short. I've usually left this "setting up a home network" thing to the menfolk of my life.
But I was home the other day when the our new Linksys router arrived (Wireless-G! -- the old Netgear guy just wasn't connecting with TiVo...or either of our laptops...very well anymore). And dadgummit, I figured I could do something about this.
Setting up the router was easy. Run the Setup CD that the hundred or so stickers on the box said to Run First! So I got a LAN connection. Then I went to my TiVo and set up THAT connection easily, too. (Finally we get to stop stealing wireless access from our neighbors...) But I guess I'd never even tested my wireless connection until tonight.
All because I wanted to use the newest, sweetest encryption (WPA2)... got to download a KB patch from Microsoft, update my Intel Wireless card drivers, spend a few minutes chatting with a Linksys representative (whoo 24 hour tech support that speaks English!). So I'm proud of my troubleshooting skillz.
Well, it was probably time to update anyway. But the happy ending here is that I'm posting this over a wireless connection.
Shannon's shared items
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Sairen
- Lenexa, KS, United States
- 20-something "young professional" trying to find my place in this grown-up world. I don't always feel grown-up.
1 comment:
Yeah but when you have nothing sensitive to hide, why bother with fancy encryption? I figure use WEP, use your phone number as the key. Anyone who knows you, you wouldn't mind letting them use your network. Anyone who doesn't know you (neighbors who want free Internet) won't know your cell. I'd be willing to bet your average neighbor wouldn't know it's even possible to crack WEP relatively easily (I say that, but I can never get the tools to work for me). But if someone does stop by to play with your connection, who cares? They'll be on their way and if you're not dumb about security they won't get anything from you.
Post a Comment